God’s Little Post-It Notes by Sharon Jaynes
Since the creation of the world, God’s invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse (Romans 1:20 TNIV).
Friend to Friend
I believe one of the greatest inventions of the twentieth century was the Post-It Note. First there was yellow. Then came fuchsia, turquoise, buttercup, and magenta. From full-page mega notes to tiny little strips, sticky notes have saved me from embarrassment, kept me organized, and helped me memorize. Mostly, they have served as visual reminders of information, events, and appointments not to forget.
But visual reminder of things not to forget didn’t begin with Post-It Notes. They began with God, Himself. All through life God places Post-It Notes on our days to remind us of Him. Just the other day, I jotted down a few of God’s Post-It Notes.
- The sunrise with swirls of mist rising from the lake behind my home
- A vibrant red male cardinal and his demure wife sharing the bird feeder
- Boisterous Canadian geese flying in V-formation across the sky
- Tulip bulbs peeping through the ground
- Dogwood blossoms heralding Easter’s approach
- The weeping willow praising God in the breeze
- A monarch butterfly perched on the windowsill
- Midday sunlight dancing on the water
- A baby’s cry
- A little girl’s giggle
- Orange, magenta and red streaks across the sky as the sun bid goodnight
- A sliver of white in the inky sky with a smattering of twinkles all around
- My husband’s hand reaching for me in the night
Each and every one of these sightings was God’s reminders to me that He has infused my life with His presence. Through His creation, God longs for us to see and discover – observe and remember – His creative beauty, His enduring grace, and His fathomless mercy.
Sharon is the co-founder of Girlfriends in God, Inc., a non-denominational ministry that crosses generational and racial boundaries to bring the Body of Christ together as believers. She, along with her ministry partners, Mary Southerland and Gwen Smith, provide daily on-line devotions read by approximately 300,000 subscribers and turn-key conferences packages. To learn more about Girlfriends in God visit www.girlfriendsinGod.com.